Friday 12 August 2016

Date with a Female Robot

So firstly, welcome to my new blog about me and everyday things that happen as a result of having ADHD.

Today is day 4 of starting medication for ADHD. I know you're wondering what it is.  It's called Concerta XL 18mg. So far I haven't noticed any effects relating to ADHD but I have noticed signs of what might you might get if you'd consumed a lot of caffeine, and this is unsurprising as the medication is a stimulant. Tomorrow I get to double the dose (36mg)  as directed by my Psychiatrist, Dr. Sally Cubbin, and that may show some results.  She did say that the initial dose would probably not be effective but it would show up any side effects.

As with most medications, it has a brand name and a generic name. Over time the brand name falls out of use, e.g. Prozac is now know by its generic name Fluoxetine. So I like to know what the generic name is for any medication that I take.  In this case Concerta XL is known generically as Methylphenidate Hydrochloride.  A bit of a mouthful and not easily remembered, especially with ADHD.  However, ADHD does give you a great ability to make connections and associations, so I decided to see where I could go with this.

If I split Methylphenidate up into parts, I can get Methyl-Pheni-Date.  Now immediately I can connect Methyl with Metal, Pheni with Fanny and Date can stay as it is.  Now I have Metal-Fanny-Date.  Hmm interesting, a date with something with a Metal Fanny (for non UK readers, Fanny is a slang word for the female genitalia)? A female robot, of course.

Now ADHD also gives rise to being inappropriate, so Fanny fits in really well.  A date with a female robot; a Metal Fanny Date. Excellent.  So there we have it, and it's remembered (for now at least).  The Hydrochloride part is for me easy to remember as it reminds me of chemistry at school.

I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow on the double dosage.

No comments:

Post a Comment