Monday 19 September 2016

Why things take longer when you have ADHD

So this is just a typical example of what happens to me.  Today I'm having diabetic eye screening done (I'm pre-type 2 in case you were wondering), so I needed to remember not to put my eyes in (I actually mean contact lenses but I always find saying "putting my eyes in" amusing), so what did I do, yes I put my eyes in.  "Oh well, I'll just take them out later.", I said to myself.  Anyway one of the lens was being uncomfortable today so I thought I would go back upstairs to take them out and that way I would not be frantically rushing to do this as my appointment time closes in.  I tell my wife I'm going upstairs to do this and she asks, "can you bring your washing down.". I acknowledge her request with a Star Wars Battle Droid "roger, roger", smiling amusingly at myself as I walk away. "Don't forget the washing!  Don't forget the washing!", I tell myself as I climb the stairs.  I get to the bedroom, pick up the clothes, and come back down and put them near the washing machine.
 I sit back down and think, "hmm, my contact lens is a bit uncomfortable.", and then I realise I forgot to do the thing I wanted to do in the first place, so trundle back upstairs to take my lenses out.

Stuff like this happens every day, and this is why things take so long to do as I am forever having to go back and complete tasks that I went to do but doesn't happen because I got distracted by something, was asked to do something else as well, the phone rings, there is a knock at the door, well you get the drift.

No comments:

Post a Comment